- Service console : From 5 version , esx has only "i" version , the service console is completely removed. ESX cli or DCUI is can be used for administration purpose.
- VCB - VMware consolidated backup is completely removed.Third party Storage API should be used for backup.
- VMI Paravirtulization retirement : Used for Linux systems. Due to advanced featured in CPU , the support for Paravirtulization is removed. To migrated to newer version , paravirtualization should be disabled in the VM.
Allowing the guest operating system to indicate its intent to the hypervisor, each can cooperate to obtain better performance when running in a virtual machine. This type of communication is referred to as paravirtualization.
- No VM Tool BOX GUI: Command line will be still supported.
- No Guest OS Customization for windows 2000 OS
- NO VMCI Socket support.
- CPU Arch: CPUs that contain the Load Register AH From Flags (LAHF) and Store AH Register into Flags (SAHF) CPU instruction sets are supported.
- HA Arch: Master Slave arch used rather than the Primary and Secondary .
- Nolonger dependent on DNS. DataStore Heartbeat is used to find the status of the peer systems.And a single log file will be used which makes the troubleshooting handy.
- Iscsi port binding is introduced.
- DvSwitch : now supports Netflow 5 and port Mirroring.Also supports IEEE 802.1AB standards-based Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP).
The NetFlow capability provided in vSphere 5 provides the following visibility:
=> Intrahost virtual machine traffic (virtual machine–to–virtual machine traffic on the same host)
=> Interhost virtual machine traffic (virtual machine–to–virtual machine traffic on different hosts)=> Virtual machine–to–physical infrastructure traffic
- Storage vmotion : Storage vMotion now supports virtual machines in snapshot mode and the migration of linked clones
- VAAI - supports thin provisioning and reclaim the dead storage.
- VMFS - Latest version is 5
- vMotion : Multiple NIC cards can be used . Also new feature - metro vmotion is introduced which is aware of the high latency networks.
- vCenter server Appliance
- vSphere Storage appliance - for SMB
- Storage DRS
- Image Builder
- Auto Deploy:use the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE)
- Licensing : CPU based